Olympics 2021: 41 Years' Wait Ended as Indian Men's Hockey won Bronze against Germany


India battled rear intensely from a two-goal shortfall to worn out Germany 5-4 in a high-intensity goal-spree to win bronze, India’s first medal in men's hockey at the Olympics after a gap of 41 years. The dream of the country came true by this wonderful medal-winning by the men’s hockey team I this season of the Olympics.

Simranjeet Singh (17th, 34th) scored a brace of goals while Hardik Singh (27th min), Harmanpreet Singh (29th min), and Rupinderpal Singh (31st min) scored a goal apiece for India while for Germany Timur Cruz (2nd min), Niklas Wellen (24th min), Benedict Furk (25th min) and Lukas Windfeder (48th min) were on target.

India released a four-goal bombardment in four minutes as they came thriving back after being restrained down 1-3 by the Germans who were on track bellicosely and molded good heaviness by going full press from the start itself.

But the Indians took rheostat of the ground itself and take advantage of on the breaks warped by the hard-pressing Germans, and counter-attacked radiantly; sharp the German resistance to tatters in that four-minute period that left the opponents shocked. Till that time, it looked like Tobias Hauke's side had taken control of the match as they opened the scoring in the second minute of their first attack and then scored twice within a minute as they took control of the proceedings with a 3-1 lead.

The Indians sustained with the thrust in the third quarter and a minute after the resume, get a penalty stroke when Mandeep Singh was taken down by Oruz in the shooting circle. Rupinderpal Singh's push had too much power for German goalkeeper Alexander Stadler, who fathomed the direction but could not get down fast ample to stop it. And India made kits tougher for Germany when Simranjeet Singh was on the mark again in the 34th minute after he was set up by Gurjant Singh, who made a good run to the goal-line and sent a detriment ball esoteric the circle.

But Germany counted two goals in quick sequence, exploiting defensive faults by the Indians to make it 3-1. They struck twice within two minutes, Wellen made it 2-1 when Hardik lost the ball near the shooting circle and a minute later Furk was on target when Indian defender Surinder Kumar delayed in clearing the ball and was dispossessed by a German forward (3-1 for Germany).

But the lead was transitory as India reacted instantly and propelled a bombardment of attacks that wrapped the victory ultimately.