Trump Delays 50 Percent Tariffs on Canada

President Donald Trump says that he was delaying the 50% tariffs on $20 billion worth of Canadian imports after the United States and Canada reached a last-minute deal hours before the measures were set to take effect.
The announcement gives both countries three more days to finalize the agreement and continue negotiations, temporarily easing tensions between the two long-standing allies.
“I have paused the 50% Tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three day period,” Trump said on Truth Social, adding that the United States and Canada had reached a deal subject to the finalization of documents.
His announcement came less than two hours before the 12:01 a.m. Wednesday deadline.
The proposed tariffs would have affected about 5% of Canada’s annual exports to the United States, covering a wide range of products, from hockey sticks and medical supplies to other consumer and industrial goods.
While the direct economic impact of the tariffs may have been limited, the political and diplomatic consequences could have been significant.
Also Read: Bahamas Grid Company Appoints Ryan Holder as COO
Canada had warned that it would retaliate with tariffs of its own if Washington proceeded with the measures, potentially escalating the trade dispute.
Also Read: Meta Faces $200 Billion Trial Over Child Safety Claims
The United States and Canada have deeply interconnected economies and traded approximately $880 billion in goods and services last year. Any prolonged tariff battle could therefore have disrupted businesses and supply chains on both sides of the border.
Also Read: Anthropic Revenue Run Rate Crosses $65 Billion in July 2026
Trump’s decision to pause the tariffs provides a temporary reprieve and creates room for negotiators to finalize the agreement. However, uncertainty remains over whether the two countries can resolve their differences before the three-day pause expires.